Instagram Stories vs. Snapchat
Snapchat was the social media platform for a quick second. But that fire has quickly faded. I often get asked from fellow business owners where they should be putting their energy when it comes to authentic social media: Instagram vs. Snapchat.
Let the battle begin...
First off, you want to think about WHY you are utilizing the platform(s), if you are currently on both. I believe that there needs to be a different strategy that connects back to your brand story and mission on each social media platform. That's right, what you are talking about on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and even Snapchat should all connect, while sharing your message in a different way that works for that audience.
Since both Snapchat and Instagram Stories are very similar in how they function, I am going to focus more on the benefits for your business and how/when to use each.
- It's likely the app you use most to chat with your best friends
- It's also likely the app you use most to share personal stories
- It may also even be the app that shares TOO much of your personality (late night drinks - ahem)
The reality is, users that were on Snapchat to share personal stories, behind-the-scenes looks from their business and quick conversations are switching over to Instagram stories.
While you may catch an occasional snap still being shared, it's likely something more personal, unedited or unrelated to their 'brand'. Think: snaps of pets, personal outings, etc.
- You used Instagram to filter your life/brand and now try to do the same on Stories
- It's an extension of your brand image, might not always as personal
- You get way more eyes on your story, so are more careful about what you share
- You love sharing more when something exciting is going on vs. just one image
Since were all on the same page about what the differences and functionality of each platform. The question still is...how do you use the apps and should you use both?
While I can't predict the future, I do not see longevity for Snapchat. From my experience, I have seen most influencers and brands switching efforts from Snapchat to Instagram stories. While you need to look at your brand strategy to decide which platform will help you reach and connect with your audience most, you will want to look at:
- How many people follow you and who are they?
- Do your followers fit your 'ideal client' profile?
- Are your followers engaging with your content?
It will be interesting to see how this battle plays out, but for now...we are focusing on creating stylish + strategic brand content on...